The 2016 Olivier Award Winners for
Best Entertainment & Family Show
Return To Edinburgh For Their 10th Anniversary Season
2nd – 27th August at The Pleasance Grand
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
“If you really want to know how to build a musical…watch The Showstoppers. It’s bliss.”
★★★★ The Times
“Had me weeping with laughter… you absolutely have to go.”
★★★★★ Mail On Sunday
Critically acclaimed improvised musical comedy Showstopper! The Improvised Musical returns to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe for a spectacular 10th year. Following their 2016 Olivier Award Winning West End debut at the Apollo Theatre and a celebrated UK tour, The Showstoppers are making 2017 their best year yet, one brand new musical at a time.
The Showstoppers will create a new production, live on stage each night, at the Pleasance Grand from 2nd – 27th August. Tickets on sale Thursday 2nd February.
No two nights are ever the same as The Showstoppers take audience suggestions and then spin a comedy musical out of thin air – stories, characters, tunes, lyrics, dances, harmonies and all – with unpredictable and hilarious results. If you’ve thought improv looked difficult before, try doing it in time (and tune) to music! The Showstoppers truly are the masters of musical theatre high-wire.
The Showstoppers have grown since 2008 to become the UK’s most acclaimed and in-demand musical improvisers, becoming a must-see global phenomenon. They now celebrate their 10th Edinburgh Festival Fringe anniversary by returning to their spiritual home at one of the world’s most famous fringe festivals! With a critically acclaimed West End run at the Apollo Theatre and now a residency at the Lyric Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue and an acclaimed BBC Radio 4 series to their name, The Showstoppers have taken their ingenious blend of comedy, musical theatre and spontaneity around the globe, receiving accolades and awards including the Olivier Award for Best Entertainment & Family Show 2016, Chortle Best Character, Improv or Sketch Act 2016, The Times Best of the Fringe, Mervyn Stutter’s Spirit Of The Fringe Award and nominations for MTM Best Production Award and MTM Judges’ Discretionary Award.
The Showstoppers also hosted the recent London Jam at Wilton’s Music Hall, an impressive week-long festival featuring the best in UK and international improv acts, culminating in a thrilling London 50-hour Improvathon.
The rotating cast features some of the brightest minds at the forefront of the UK improv scene and in the world of comedy and musical theatre. The company includes:
* • Co-founder Adam Meggido, an award-winning writer/composer who has improvised at the National, The Royal Court Theatre, Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre and currently holds the world record for the directing the longest impro show – 55 hours without a break. He recently directed Olivier Award Nominated Peter Pan Goes Wrong at the Apollo Theatre (for Mischief Theatre), which was also televised on BBC One
* • Dylan Emery, the other co-founder, has been improvising for more than 15 years – including at the National/Royal Court/Shakespeare’s Globe. He created veteran comedy improv group Grand Theft Impro, and the UK’s premier website devoted to the form thecrunchyfrogcollective.com.
* • Pippa Evans is an Edinburgh Comedy Award Best Newcomer nominee who has had great success on TV, Radio and stage – she is a regular on BBC Radio 4’s The Now Show and BBC2’s Fast and Loose, performs regularly with the Comedy Store Players and has had many years of success with her hit character act Loretta Maine. She won the Chortle Award for Music & Variety last year and made her debut on BBC Radio 4’s Just A Minute recently, as well as appearing on BBC Radio 4’s I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue.
* • Ruth Bratt is a writer/performer and Fringe regular for the last 12 years. Radio appearances include Trodd en Bratt Say Well Done You, Sarah Millican’s Support Group, and Best Laid Plans; television appearances includes People Just Do Nothing, Vic Reeves’ The Ministry of Curious Stuff, Fast & Loose, and Ricky Gervais’ Derek; film includes Wyrdoes.
* • Sarah-Louise Young is an internationally renowned cabaret performer, actress and writer. Named one of Time Out’s Top 10 Cabaret Acts and voted Best Musical Variety Act in the London Cabaret Awards, Sarah-Louise won The Stage award for her work across three shows at the 2016 Edinburgh Fringe. She is one half of writing and performing duo Roulston & Young and has guested with Fascinating Aïda.
What the press have said about The Showstoppers:
”A high-wire act of top notch improv dexterity, consummately performed at breakneck speed, the show delivers on every level”
★★★★ Daily Mail
“Not only is each performance achingly funny, it’s a genuinely new musical every time. Worth seeing again and again.”
★★★★★ Time Out London Critics’ Choice
“The show is a blast. It makes your jaw drop in impressed amazement and your ribs ache with laughter. Simultaneously a pastiche, a parody and a paean to musical theatre”
★★★★★ Mail on Sunday
“A shining example of how good improv can be.”
“They truly are the masters of longform improvisation. These guys have to be seen to be believed! The best musical improvisation group we’ve ever come across. More talent on stage than you can shake a stick at!”
★★★★★Time Out Critics’ Choice
“Showstopper! is a perfect example of skill and talent combined.”
★★★★★ British Theatre Guide
“Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. Some creators take years to write rubbish, this team create gems in an hour every night. Simply outstanding.”
“An irresistible whirlwind of energy…Improvisation is being taken to new heights.”
“These hideously talented regulars are pushing improv in new directions – go marvel” ★★★★ Daily Telegraph
“If you really want to know how to build a musical…watch Showstoppers. It’s bliss.” ★★★★ The Times
Dates: 2nd – 27th August Show: Showstopper! The Improvised Musical
Venue: Pleasance Courtyard – Grand
Address: 60 Pleasance, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH8 9TJ
Time: 6pm (70 mins)
Price: Previews £10, Early Week £13 (£11) Midweek £15 (£13), Weekend £17 (£14.50)
Box office: www.pleasance.co.uk / www.edfringe.com
To book review tickets for this show please contact the Pleasance Press Office on 0131 556 6557 / [email protected]